Born in Cambodia, raised in America – and now making waves in Bangkok
Alexia with Clutch.
When this lady walks into a room, people stop talking to watch and feel her presence: she knows how to make an entrance. A body that makes many of us envious, hair that could
make any hairdresser proud and always dressed like a fashion icon.
This is the essential Alexia Kay.
So who is this amazing person?
Alexia was born in Cambodia, but grew up in the United States. Both her parents are from Cambodia, but live in Boston, Massachusetts. Alexia has three older siblings, all married and living in the United States. The family left Cambodia after the civil war and arrived in the US in April, 1982.
She studied interior design at the Art Institute of Atlanta. Today she is a successful fashion designer.
Who or what inspired you to become a designer?
“A designer was not my first option. My parents wanted me to study to become a doctor or lawyer and they hoped I would attend an Ivy League School, such as Harvard or Brown University. Many in my family are doctors or lawyers.
“It’s common for Asian parents to choose a high paying profession for their children.
“I decided, after high school, that I wanted to become an interior designer, I wanted to follow my own path and not in my parents footsteps.
Currently, Alexia is living and working in Thailand and Cambodia. She mentions that the company is based in the United States and that she is here to oversee production.
She spends about 80% of her time in Bangkok and the other 20 % she travels, both for leisure and business. Alexia recently launched her first handbag collection with a charity show at the Dusit Thani hotel, with, among many models, former Miss Universe year 2005, Nathalie Glebova. Her exclusive and unique handbags and clutches. The bags are made of leather from Europe and Australia.
“As a former model, I wore many designers’ clothes, some I liked, and some I liked less. I mostly felt that something was missing.
“I decided to design a bag collection for “stay home moms” and business women. I talked to any women and all of them said, they had so little time to pick a suitable handbag, one for the daytime and one for after work. It’s often you have to go directly from work to attend a dinner, a concert or any other event. I came up with the idea, to make bags that you could change yourself in a very easy way.
“Most of the bags are in two different colors and you can play around with parts of the bag, give it a new look every time. It saves you time and hassle and you don’t have to carry two bags along, or run home to pick up the ‘after work’ bag. Today you can order Alexia’s bags online
www.Alexiakay.com. She also sells to retailers using sales agents.” Alexia is CEO of Alexia Kay and she is the ‘brand face’ of the company.
“I’m representing my brand with pride and the best of my ability,” she says. “I’m also the creative mind behind the designs; I meet up with potential clients and demonstrate the multi functionalities of the bags.”