• 2 sirloin fillets
(200g, cut in half horizontally)
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 80g mayonnaise
• 1 large red onion, halved &
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• 10g salt flakes (pink salt or similar)
• 5g freshly ground black pepper
• Olive oil spray
• 1 baguette
• 50ml tomato sauce
• 2-3 medium potatoes very thinly sliced
• 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
• 50g wild rocket, ends trimmed,
washed & dried
• Cherry tomatoes & pickles to garnish
• Pound each sirloin fillet between two pieces of plastic wrap with a meat mallet or similar until around 8mm thick
• Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring occasionally for until golden (approx. 7-10 mins). Add sugar, balsamic vinegar and stir until onion caramelizes (approx. 2-3 mins). Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Preheat a BBQ or chargrill pan on high. Lightly spray the sirloin fillets with olive oil spray and season with salt and pepper. Cook the beef to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
• Slice the baguette in half and place on serving plate. Spread bottom half with tomato sauce and mayo. Top with the beef, caramelized onions, sliced tomatoes and rocket. Place remaining half on top, skewer with garnishes and serve.
• For shaved potato chips: Heat vegetable oil at 160°C and fry until golden brown. Place chips on sheets to soak up excess oil before serving alongside the steak sandwich.
Chef in focus
Mr. Andrew Maldini, aged 46.
Inspiration: Love! Love for the ingredients and love for the creative process of cooking.
Career: A professional chef for over 15 years, Australia-born Andrew was most recently the
Executive Chef at the Four Points by Sheraton Perth, but had also spent time in the kitchens of
Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (Sydney) and the Castle Hill RSL Group. His present position at ibis
Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai is also his first posting in Southeast Asia. ibis Styles Bangkok
Khaosan Viengtai: 42 Rambuttri Road, Banglampu, Bangkok 10200,
Tel. +66 2280 5434, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ibisstylesbangkokkhaosan.com